Days
Hours
Min
Sec

A Myriad of Tabletop RPG Systems/Games

Post subject: A Myriad of Tabletop RPG Systems/Games
PostPosted: 24 Feb 2015, 16:07 

Hello guys,

Since I had a nice conversation with boberczus about tabletop RPG's, I thought I would post my own google drive shared folder where I keep many free resources to some popular game systems.

GAMES IN MY GOOGLE DRIVE

So here is a breakdown of what's in there:

There is both FATE Core and FATE Accelerated which are simple game engines (Accelerated being a simpler version of Core) that can be used for ANY theme whatsoever. The rules are just a base for play, the rest is up to imagination ;) (for example the Mass Effect game there)

D&D 5th Edition is by far the most simple to learn and play of all the D&Ds imo and has a great balance between combat and  roleplay mechanics, that make the game both fun and fast to play. Also the easiest version to start as a dungeon master. Included in the drive is an entry adventure called Lost Mines of Phandelver and it's amazing to learn the ropes.

Shadowrun is a game about a magic-filled distopian near future. Cyberpunk, magic, megacorporations ruling the world and criminality up the whazoo with you running the missions all the other regular citizens are afraid to. It is VERY rules intensive, but is also an extremely developed and overall awe-inspiring game. Hard to learn though..

I have some Call of Cthulhu stuff that I'll add to the drive later. It's a horror game. THE horror game. It can become tense as heeeeeell, trust me! I have a nice "episode" that happened with me and my friends here: Other post

boberczus, there are two D6 systems and one FATE system for Mass Effect here. One of the D6 you already know but please check out the FATE one, it has been nominated to some awards and maybe even won one or two.

Feel free to use these resources guys,
Xarop

Post subject: Re: A Myriad of Tabletop RPG Systems/Games
PostPosted: 24 Feb 2015, 19:37 
Grunt
Grunt

Nice. Thanks mate. Will give it a go as soon as I manage to gather players. As for D&D, I believe I've played the 3rd edition (it was around 2006-2007 I think), it was hard to get your head around. Even amount of dices repelled. Though I think that mechanics, are most simple in Warhammer 2nd edition. One dice to rule (roll) them all. Easy to explain world (you have analogies between the real one and fantasy one). The whole advancement system is a bitch to explain. As for horror games, I once gave a go the World of Darkness. It was pretty neat. But I had a GM that definetely know what SHE was doing (it's the first and only time I've had female GM - plus she was hot as hell). Imagine having a session of a game, which main theme is this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wxNT8ONn-To

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2015, 10:24 

Hahaha, amazing

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2015, 20:24 
Grunt
Grunt

By the way, what is your opinion on characters theme music? I've met with both types of GM, those who find it absolutely required, and those who find it absulutely irrelevant. Personally, I'm the first type. It gives a lot of room for creating appriopriate atmosphere for a player.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2015, 20:45 

Character Theme Music? Like for each character? Hmm... I've never thought about it. Can you tell me a bit more?
I do like running my games with various types of ambient music: tense, calm, combat, tavern music, etc

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2015, 21:45 
Grunt
Grunt

Ambient music is one thing. But I was tought, and like to have a theme for each character. I use it for example, when something important is happening for said character or something. Basically always use it when introducing. It may (and I think should) also represent characters trait. Like for example a friend created very dark and greedy character, with some crimes in the past, he used this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUnB846aB4I . It fitted perfectly. When I create character, I often start with finding appropriate theme for it and then moving on basing on that music. There is a lot of good stuff for it in music created by Two Steps From Hell and by Adrian von Ziegler, who also has GREAT ambient music, Dead Can Dance is awesome too. I often see games OSTs used (AC, Bioshock, TW: Shogun, Silent Hill, Skyrim, Halo, League of Legends even - but mostly community created stuff) , sometimes movie OSTs too (Last Samurai, the Vikings, Gladiator, basically whole Hans Zimmer, Batman). Here are some examples of main themes:
For a honorable warrior, with sad past - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXRjg_QWN-Q
I've used this for my sneaky-peaky-stealthy-assassin who was in circus in the past (though I asked a friend to slow it down a little bit and make it little lower): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UkWcmM9JTeg#t=54
This one is one of the best combination I've ever seen. A fire mage of course: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TQXfGdPB7k4

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2015, 09:52 

Wow that's really cool, I've never thought about that! I'll ask my players to give me a piece of music for their new characters in Mass Effect!! Thanks man.
Also, Dead Can Dance is amazing for ambient music. I've got quite a big list but I can't remember any at the moment hehe.
For futuristic games too, not just fantasy.
That circus thief with the Shaco song idea is amazing too :3

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2015, 14:33 
Grunt
Grunt

Yea I it was one of my brightest ideas. I wanted to create the character basing on Beethovens "Fur Elise" and then found the shaco one :P. Just make sure they know that theme must represent somehow the character and must be usable by GM during game. I remember even using flamenco as my :theme. Possibilities are endlesa :P

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2015, 15:39 

I'm going to print the ME Fate corebook tomorrow. Those power cards and reference sheet are also pretty sweet as well :)
I'll make some characters with the and I'll post them here with their musics ^^