Next event
Days
Hours
Min
Sec

Tabletop D&D, Shadowrun, etc

Post subject: Tabletop D&D, Shadowrun, etc
PostPosted: 20 Feb 2015, 12:11 

Anyone here a fan of roleplaying tabletop games? Even if not RPGs.
I run a game of Dungeons & Dragons 5th Edition and am a player in a Shadowrun 3rd Edition. 
I've also ran a few quick adventures in Call of Cthulhu and my players will probably remember one of those till the day they die. 
Somewhere in the adventure they had to enter a house that was extremely haunted by the BBEG. At home, I cut some candles open and removed part of their wicks at different heights and melted them back together; this way, they would burn and suddenly go out without warning.
We played in the dark with nothing but those 4 candles lit. They entered the house and I gave them the candles, and they explored the house slow and steady. Just my luck... one of the candles goes out when they are about to find the evil zombie spirit guy and I say "The walls seem shiver and your vision is blurry. A sudden intense pain in your brain makes you scream and you fall to one knee. Everything goes black. You feel nothing."

They were so scared that it made me want to laugh. Just the candle going out made them go "woah woah woaaaah bad news" but mind control? Now that is fucked! They all died... horribly...
One shot the other in the face than offed himself (mind controlled to do so), one went totally mad and asking for his mommy and the last one had his face bitten off.

Post subject: Re: Tabletop D&D, Shadowrun, etc
PostPosted: 20 Feb 2015, 12:30 

And as they died I would put out their candles, so it got really dark. We were down to the last guy, still mind controlled and one candle. I was looking him dead in the eye an asked him to roll to see if he could escape mind control. He rolled an average number and was confident he had succeeded
"So did I make it? Did I make it???? I'm the last one alive, I need to gtfo!" I didn't answer yes or no... just this
"You slowly regain your vision but you can't see much, it is so dark. You don't remember standing up though. You take a deep breath and try to move towards the stairs, but your legs don't move. Your arms seem to be stiff as well.
A screeching maniacal laugh echoes throughout the entire basement and you lose all strength on your limbs. As your arm involuntarily lifts itself to the side, the last thing you feel is the cold metal of your pistol on the side of your head"
I blew out the candle and shouted BANG in total darkness.

That guy smoked three cigarettes in a row after that haha

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2015, 12:34 
Grunt
Grunt

Played D&D for quiete a long time, then switched and am currently GMing Warhammer. Played Neuroshima also. Now trying reaaaaaaally hard to find some people willing to play ttRPG in Mass Effect universe. It's hard though. As for cool stories? Jeez... there's been so many it's hard to choose. I'll think about it and maybe post later.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2015, 12:43 

Hah hell yes a Mass Effect fan! I saw a conversion from a StarWars ttRPG conversion to Mass Effect. Since SW already has pewpewpew it was basicly a theme and items conversion. Also the enemies, friendlies, locations, etc. It seemed to work really well for people on thetangledweb.net and roll20.
http://www.giantitp.com/forums/showthre ... ga-Edition

Also, it is probably really easy to do with FATE or GURPS

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2015, 13:34 
Grunt
Grunt

I am going to use this one: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B3AGMs ... wwdUU/view . There are few thign to change IMO (I though about implementing Nauroshimas action points), but still, would be lot of fun.

Plus the other thing is, that I'd have to translate most of it to polish. Which is kind of pain in the ass.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2015, 13:52 

Wow, I've never seen this one. I'll read through it at home, maybe my ME fan friends would like to play it!

This D6 system seems sort of confusing at times, but it might be simpler once I get the hang of it.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2015, 14:56 

Hmm the game mechanics for ranged combat seem really flawed. The difference in ranges between weapon classes is really imbalanced. Pistols have 5 metres more than shotguns and do half the damage? Damn...
Also, no reason to just bring an assault rifle over an SMG or pistol or whatnot. Sniper Rifle mechanics look really neat though.

I would use the Shadowrun ranged combat mechanics here, with the Single, Burst and Full Auto fire modes and no "0 damage after optimal range" but rather an increase in the difficulty to hit because 5 metres isnt really going to turn a 3D damage to 0, just doesnt make sense.

In SR you can choose to shoot a short 3 bullet burst (which you can do twice in a round) or a full auto burst of <=10 bullets. However, you have recoil, that reduces your chance to hit (target number to hit gets bigger) 
In burst, you suffer little recoil which gives you a bigger chance to hit but less damage.
In full auto you suffer much more recoil but if you hit, you do much more damage.

So imagine here, you could be using an M8 with mods to reduce recoil, thus making it easier to hit and suppress. But when you change to a Mattock heavy assault rifle (single fire), it will be easier to hit but you will do less damage (even if still big cause that shit is badass).

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B6ziRK ... sp=sharing
Take a look at pages 114-115. The Power Level can be adapted by adding Pips to the damage done. Each bullet can do one more Pip for example, and we can look at some weapon mods that reduce the recoil (even Strength may help maybe?)

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2015, 16:14 
Grunt
Grunt

Well thanks for the tips. But the truth is, that you ain't know if it's gonna work until you play it. When (and if) I manage to gather few guys, we'll do some testing and figure out what needs changing and so on. Until then I'll keep my mind in badass campaign in WH which I'm running :D

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2015, 16:24 

Hah great! Only played Warhammer twice or thrice. The big one with 3D fields and all that.

PostPosted: 20 Feb 2015, 17:32 
Grunt
Grunt

Naaaaah. Not that Warhammer. http://pl.scribd.com/doc/31569744/23306 ... ion#scribd - this one :D. It's and awesome system with a wonderfuly created world. If it come to this kind of games, I used to play with LotR figures.