PRT

PR Time
Next event
Days
Hours
Min
Sec
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next

Pack your survival gear!

Post subject: Re: Pack your survival gear!
PostPosted: 03 Jan 2013, 22:39 
Junior Officer
Junior Officer

Fuck survival, Morphine is a hell of a Drug,

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2013, 15:19 
Non-commissioned Officer
Non-commissioned Officer

And here's my reasoning behind the loadout:
  • Soft cap - moving around with a piece of goddamn kevlar on your head WILL slow you down and tire you out.
  • Armoured vest - will slow you down, so negotiable. I included it for completeness.
  • Woodland camo - unless you're stuck in a city (bad, bad idea when the Time comes) you'll want to sort of blend in. But no Ghillie suit, that shit is only for sniping.
  • Night vision - you'll usually move during darkness, for it is your new Best Friend. And you'll need to see targets before they see you, so this is a no-brainer. Thermal vision could be a good alternative.
  • No patch - pointless to claim affiliation when the local bandits capture you.
  • Ham radio - all other comms will be down, you can count on that.
  • Combat carrier - easy access
    • CS - obviously, for CQB
    • Flashbang - ditto
    • AK ammo x2
    • Pistol ammo x2
    • Grenade - essential!
  • Bag - easy access
    • Multitool - essential.
    • Morphine - fuck yes. Don't let a sucking chest wound slow you down.
    • Water bottle - extremely underrated. Combat dehydrates the body like hell.
  • Backpack
    • Claymore - for ambushing larger groups and perimeter defense when you set up camp
    • Bouncing Betty - ditto
    • CS and flashbang spares
    • SKS ammo
    • Weapon cleaning kit - so many (dead) people neglected this
    • Matches - put not thy trust in fancy lighters
    • MRE x2 - for when you can't find any wildlife
    • Sleeping bag - for a restful night's sleep after slaying enemies
    • Tent - ditto. Also stops you from getting flu in winter.
    • Duct tape - basic all-purpose essential. Can be used as bandage/splint in emergency.
  • Weapons:
    • AK74 with red dot and silencer - AK because it's reliable, easy to maintain and find ammo; 74 variant because it's more accurate than 47; red dot and silencer for CQB.
    • SKS with scope and tripod - SKS for same reasons as AK, plus it packs a punch; scope and tripod for better hunting.
    • Glock 17 - reliability and accuracy.
Jokes aside, I think a real-life go-bag should have about the same components (minus combat shit; plus more medical stuff, water purification&filtration system, a climbing rope, and sunglasses). And if I had to choose a rifle for surviving in the wild, it would 100% certainly be the SKS.

"Killing is negotiation."--Black Hawk Down, Abdullah 'Firimbi' Hassan

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2013, 16:24 
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

I decided to do mine in Hardcore mode i.e. Only things I own.

All the usual stuff, the only differences are I keep a machete instead of a regular knife and for now the blot action rifle/ Lee Enfield is represented in the real world by a .22 air rifle. Only useful for killing rats and rabbits, I wouldn't think it worth the effort for defence. Planning to get a Lee Enfield once I move into a property where I can get permission for a gun safe. The weapons most widely used at my gun club are bolt action service rifles with a few AR type and AK's mixed in. (I haven't met anyone with an SKS yet Xact :( ) not to mention more shotguns than one would need as the law is less restrictive on shotguns.

All the stuff in a big crate with my camping stuff in the house. I think I'd do ok, the only downside would be no electricity so we couldn't watch Red Dawn around the camp fire :P

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2013, 17:16 

xact wrote:

And here's my reasoning behind the loadout:
  • Soft cap - moving around with a piece of goddamn kevlar on your head WILL slow you down and tire you out.
  • Armoured vest - will slow you down, so negotiable. I included it for completeness.
  • Woodland camo - unless you're stuck in a city (bad, bad idea when the Time comes) you'll want to sort of blend in. But no Ghillie suit, that shit is only for sniping.
  • Night vision - you'll usually move during darkness, for it is your new Best Friend. And you'll need to see targets before they see you, so this is a no-brainer. Thermal vision could be a good alternative.
  • No patch - pointless to claim affiliation when the local bandits capture you.
  • Ham radio - all other comms will be down, you can count on that.
  • Combat carrier - easy access
    • CS - obviously, for CQB
    • Flashbang - ditto
    • AK ammo x2
    • Pistol ammo x2
    • Grenade - essential!
  • Bag - easy access
    • Multitool - essential.
    • Morphine - fuck yes. Don't let a sucking chest wound slow you down.
    • Water bottle - extremely underrated. Combat dehydrates the body like hell.
  • Backpack
    • Claymore - for ambushing larger groups and perimeter defense when you set up camp
    • Bouncing Betty - ditto
    • CS and flashbang spares
    • SKS ammo
    • Weapon cleaning kit - so many (dead) people neglected this
    • Matches - put not thy trust in fancy lighters
    • MRE x2 - for when you can't find any wildlife
    • Tent - ditto. Also stops you from getting flu in winter.
    • Duct tape - basic all-purpose essential. Can be used as bandage/splint in emergency.
  • Weapons:
    • AK74 with red dot and silencer - AK because it's reliable, easy to maintain and find ammo; 74 variant because it's more accurate than 47; red dot and silencer for CQB.
    • SKS with scope and tripod - SKS for same reasons as AK, plus it packs a punch; scope and tripod for better hunting.
    • Glock 17 - reliability and accuracy.
Jokes aside, I think a real-life go-bag should have about the same components (minus combat shit; plus more medical stuff, water purification&filtration system, a climbing rope, and sunglasses). And if I had to choose a rifle for surviving in the wild, it would 100% certainly be the SKS.

how many enemies are you planning to slay with 2 ak mags? even on the first day...not enough..

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2013, 17:53 
Grunt
Grunt

Ammo availability depends on your country. For example here no chance to find 5.45mm or 7.62x39, so AKs are nowhere near a viable choice. I went with G3 'cause it's the main rifle here, and even though they have a fairly complicated operating mechanism finding a new one shouldn't be too hard in apocalypse scenario. Don't need sleeping bags or tents since I plan to stay in the suburbs (my house is fairly "fortified" - would hole up for a week until the panic dies out, then maybe venture out). Much harder survival, but much easier resource gathering (in the first months anyways).

Also, why do you guys bring anti-personnel mines and tactical grenades? They won't be useful in a zombie ruled world (assuming you made yours according to zombie apocalypse, disregard this if you didn't). Even in "normal" occasions AP mines need to be used in large groups, one or two won't do area denial.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2013, 18:02 

Xact I'm 100% sure thats not the SKS rifle.If you browse trough weapons on the site its the last one.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2013, 18:30 
Non-commissioned Officer
Non-commissioned Officer

Murkey, respect for the bolt-action. I'd suggest a bayonet add-on, so as to have a viable option when the ammo runs out: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0Mp4HC09S0

Stealthgato, it depends on the scenario you foresee and the location. In my case, the scenario is a realistic global meltdown (not zombies), and I live in Sweden (Russian stuff is relatively popular - army uses AK5 and there are loads of military weapon caches hidden in the forests from the Cold War). Social stability will not return soon after the meltdown - bandits and gangs are going to be everywhere. I would GTFO the city and live off the land (quite feasible even in winter). The claymore, etc. is necessary to protect my camp/stash/family against intruders, but I think it could be good for a small ambush too.

Thanks Marinko, but it's too much hassle to edit the loadout and re-upload the pic. Just half-close your eyes and PRETEND it looks like an SKS, yes?

"Killing is negotiation."--Black Hawk Down, Abdullah 'Firimbi' Hassan

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2013, 18:40 

Stealthgato wrote:
Ammo availability depends on your country. For example here no chance to find 5.45mm or 7.62x39, so AKs are nowhere near a viable choice. I went with G3 'cause it's the main rifle here, and even though they have a fairly complicated operating mechanism finding a new one shouldn't be too hard in apocalypse scenario. Don't need sleeping bags or tents since I plan to stay in the suburbs (my house is fairly "fortified" - would hole up for a week until the panic dies out, then maybe venture out). Much harder survival, but much easier resource gathering (in the first months anyways).

Also, why do you guys bring anti-personnel mines and tactical grenades? They won't be useful in a zombie ruled world (assuming you made yours according to zombie apocalypse, disregard this if you didn't). Even in "normal" occasions AP mines need to be used in large groups, one or two won't do area denial.

come here then... GUNS, GUNS FOR EVERYONE!

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2013, 20:31 
Grunt
Grunt

Outfit
  • Cap - Helmets are to clumsy, tends not to let moisture through and give you the illusion that you are protected.
  • Flak jacket - Modern and light version? yes please
  • Warm clothing in dark colours - Works well in forests as well as cities. With all the equipment, bags, vests etc. the camo will be barely visible anyway.
  • Aviator glasses - Its all about looking cool, and the low sun in your eyes.
  • Keffiyeh - Keeps you warm during witer, cold during summer and works as a towel. What can you more ask?
  • Patch - Rise up!
  • Walkie - To talk to my friends (hoping I have any)
Vest
  • Easy accessible belts for PKM.
  • Grenades x 2 - Good to have close at hand.
  • Smoke grenade -In case you need to get some cover.
  • Water cantine - Always good to have water easy accessible to prevent dehydration.
  • Cigarettes - ...
  • Lighter - Need to light previous mentioned object.
Bag
  • Gas-mask - Good to have close at hand but keeping it on 24/7 wont do you much good.
  • Morphine - In cease it gets really bad it is good to be able to get out of there...
  • Flash-light
Backpack
  • Box of ammo x2 - Going to need a lot of that.
  • Needles and thread - Good for fixing torn cloths, skin, etc.
  • Gun cleaning kit - Got to take care of your equipment, don't want it jamming.
  • Map - Always keep an eye on your terrain and location.
  • Food kit - Everyone needs to eat.
  • Sleeping-bag - Good to have when attempting to sleep outside during winter.
  • Night-vision - Since half of the year up here is day and the other night...
  • Bandages - Good combo with the thread and needle.
  • Drugs - Medications are always nice to have around...
Weapons:
  • PKM - Did you really expect anything else from me?
  • Machete - Preferable a Kukri or something so you can chop some wood etc.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2013, 20:42 

xact wrote:
(Russian stuff is relatively popular - army uses AK5 and there are loads of military weapon caches hidden in the forests from the Cold War)
The Automatkarbin 5 is based upon the FN Herstal FNC, which was developed for NATO trials. It wasn't accepted but made a return a few years later in the Swedish army. We have thereafter had Bofors, currently BAE Systems, improve on it to fit the specifications of the Swedish Military. It fires standardised 5.56 NATO rounds in a 30-rnd magazine. 

Its predecessor, the AK4, fired 7.62 NATO and was based upon the German HK G3. 

tl;dr: It ain't Russian Xact. and you will not find Russian ammunition that much in Sweden. If you are looking to resupply you will have to go for NATO rounds, as they are used in private hunting (same caliber) and the military.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 56 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next