Min
Sec

[Help] A laptop .. for work, PR & more

Post subject: A laptop .. for work, PR & more
PostPosted: 13 Jul 2016, 14:52 
Junior Officer
Junior Officer

Hello everyone,

Because I will be moving away from Germany in August, I'd like an upgrade to my shitty old and broken Acer Laptop that is freezing every couple of minutes. Now I don't want to spend 2 years away from PR, so I need something that could be used both for work and uni (= robust, light, not pink) and some limited gaming (like PR, wargame, probably not Squad).

Do you have any recommendations? Something that - at best - fits the following criteria:

- Robust and Light
- Decent battery life
- Not too massive screen size, but not too small either (duh)
- Fairly strong Graphics
- SSD
- Separate Mic & Audio 3.5mm In

Budget max. is around 1100 €

Thanks for the help? If you don't know a specific model, which brand would you recommend?

Post subject: Re: A laptop .. for work, PR & more
PostPosted: 14 Jul 2016, 08:41 
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

I did some laptop shopping a couple of weeks ago for work and not-too-heavy gaming, while I'm in Burkina Faso for a couple of months. In the end I got this - http://www.laptopsdirect.co.uk/medion-e ... ersion.asp TBH I thought it was a pretty good deal, but it loses points on CPU (dual core 2.5ghz), battery (haven't run it through yet but only a few hours of high activity) and robustness (lots of plastic over aluminium or more rigid parts).

For a bit more money a better graphics card and nicer case would be nice, but I'm planning to get a new desktop soon so was on a budget. I have used a few Lenovo Thinkpads (like this - https://www.amazon.co.uk/Lenovo-ThinkPa ... s=thinkpad) and they are pretty solid.

Happy shopping :D Cheers, Murkey.

PostPosted: 14 Jul 2016, 14:07 

You have 3 options, they all round around your budget limit (900-1.2k)

Razer blade stealth, although it looks a bit too gamey and it'll make you look like a nerd, it's probably the most powerful of the 3.

The dell xps 13 (google it, I can't find the page in german/english)

The lenovo ideapad 710s, the cheapest of the 3, but can still play stuff like overwatch, so most likely PR

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2016, 08:33 
Grunt
Grunt

Wow that Razer looks kinda ugly and plasticy, the RGB LED keyboard is kinda cool, though.

I've heard good things about the Dell XPS 13 series. However, I don't know how well the modern integrated GPUs work for gaming.

Have you taken a look at the Asus Zenbook lineup? Two years ago I bought the Asus Zenbook UX32LN that has the dimensions of a 13" ultrabook but still has a dedicated GPU that makes light gaming a tad bit easier. Generally I've been really happy with it and when I lived in Germany played PR on it with no problems, not at max settings though.

It cost 999e but the SSD was only 128GB so I bought a 512GB SSD for 200e. The SSD replacement was very straight forward in this model. The audio and mic jack is combined so an adapter would be needed to use a normal headset with microphone. On my computer the headphone plug needs to be put carefully to the correct position for the sound to work, on the plus side though this way the internal microphone doesn't get disabled and I don't need a headset with microphone.

Quality wise the laptop is really solid and the aluminum case looks good, the FullHD display is gorgeous, keyboard has a nice feeling to it and the touchpad is large and responsive.

The current version seems to be the UX303UB. It gets 40-60 % more FPS on Tomb Raider than the Dell XPS 13 so it's definitely more suitable for gaming. With a 128GB SSD the price is 1099e in Finland.
http://www.notebookcheck.net/Asus-Zenbo ... 065.0.html

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2016, 12:22 
Junior Officer
Junior Officer

Thanks for the help guys! I figured it will be hard, I'll look out some options and ask your opinion again :)

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2016, 20:18 
OA

Welcome to 15fps laptop pr life nate. Hope you find better laptop than i have and dont fail like me :D

Oh and dont buy these lenovo laptops. They are awesome for uni and work, but pr lyef is miserable.

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2016, 10:40 

Im playing on a MSI "gaming" laptop and it works quit well.
They are robust, not too slim (cooling) and make no trouble.

GP 62 = 15 inch, GP 72 = 17 inch

http://www.notebooksbilliger.de/msi+gp6 ... 0wod-rsMQg

You might find it a bit cheaper somewhere else

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2016, 16:55 
Grunt
Grunt

Hey guys !
This is the cheapest gaming laptop that you can find right now (at least in my country it is ) >>
https://www.amazon.com/Lenovo-Ideapad-Y700-Laptop-i7-6700HQ/dp/B016YFRGQ0

6th Generation Intel Core i7-6700HQ (2.60GHz 1600MHz 6MB) (( this is a real core i7 CPU , that means it have 4cores/8threads , and it's not like i7-6500U that really is a i3 with 2cores/4threads ))
16GB DDR4 2133 MHz RAM
1TB Hard Drive + 128GB Solid State Drive
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M 4GB (( this is the equivalent of GTX 750 ti which is a pretty decent gaming card in HD resolution ))
15.6in Full HD IPS Display / Windows 10

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2016, 19:14 
Junior Officer
Junior Officer

Thanks for the hint SAM! That one looks decent indeed!
Chepest one in Germany is: 1.099 €

Lenovo Y700 39,6 cm (15,6 Inch Full HD) Notebook (Intel Skylake Core i7-6700HQ, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M, externer DVD-Brenner,Win 10); Intel Core i7-6700HQ (2,6 GHz, with Intel Turbo-Boost 2.0 bis zu 3,5 GHz, 6MB Intel Smart-Cache)
GeForce GTX 960M mit 4 GB

This one has no HDD, only 8GB RAM, but the version with HDD or bigger SSD costs 400 more, so I guess this is the best. I have an external harddrive and I don't intend to get too many files anyways.

You think that's fine?

https://www.amazon.de/Lenovo-Notebook-i ... op?ie=UTF8

Thinking about screen size, I can't finde a similar configuration with 14", how portable do you think is this 15,6 one?

PostPosted: 21 Jul 2016, 21:05 
Grunt
Grunt

Nate wrote:
Thanks for the hint SAM! That one looks decent indeed!
Chepest one in Germany is: 1.099 €

Lenovo Y700 39,6 cm (15,6 Inch Full HD) Notebook (Intel Skylake Core i7-6700HQ, 8GB RAM, 256GB SSD, NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M, externer DVD-Brenner,Win 10); Intel Core i7-6700HQ (2,6 GHz, with Intel Turbo-Boost 2.0 bis zu 3,5 GHz, 6MB Intel Smart-Cache)
GeForce GTX 960M mit 4 GB

This one has no HDD, only 8GB RAM, but the version with HDD or bigger SSD costs 400 more, so I guess this is the best. I have an external harddrive and I don't intend to get too many files anyways.

You think that's fine?

https://www.amazon.de/Lenovo-Notebook-i ... op?ie=UTF8

Thinking about screen size, I can't finde a similar configuration with 14", how portable do you think is this 15,6 one?
That doesn't make any sense ! why it is so much more expensive in your country ??! that same exact model (with 16GB ram and a HDD) is around 900 euros in my country !!! I found this 2 on amazon.de for around 600 euros and it says that they are new but I think that you should contact the seller and ask about it to be sure !!!
https://www.amazon.de/Lenovo-Notebook-i7-6700HQ-Quad-Core-Prozessor/dp/B01CJRHA3Q/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A7HLEXN3GSRWY
https://www.amazon.de/Lenovo-Multimedia-Notebook-i7-6700HQ-DVD-Brenner/dp/B015YP8PAC/ref=aag_m_pw_dp?ie=UTF8&m=A7HLEXN3GSRWY

and for your concern about the size ,TBH there is only a small difference between 15.6" and 14" laptops !