PRT

PR Time
Next event
Days
Hours
Min
Sec
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

[How-To] Record a gameplay in HD

Post subject: Re: [How-To] Record a gameplay in HD
PostPosted: 30 Mar 2013, 23:36 
Junior Officer
Junior Officer

First off, I know that this is a rather old thread, but nonetheless: Many thanks for the detailed instructions! Very well written and a pretty fine move!

BUT

I can't get my mic-audio to be recorded. Game sounds are fine. And yes, I set up two devices, selected the correct devices and activated "record sound" on both. Anyone has the same issue and/or any idea for a solution?
I mean, there isn't much one could do apart from the stuff already selected.
--->> WTF, while typing this and just trying over and over again, it works now. Funny stuff, computers are.

About the CPU threading...with my rather slow 5770 on 1920*1200, I thought I'd go with the CPU threading...didn't see any performance increase though whatsoever. My last hope it is because of my old HDDs and I will now finally get over my fear of deleting all my series, movies, etc so I'll have a newer 1TB free to use for recording - hopes are high!

On the other hand, with our shitty internet here, how would I ever upload files that large? I'll send an USB stick to you once in a while, Weed :-)

----------------

Apart from that, I hope you enjoyed your days at home and I am looking forward to seeing you online again! Greetz,

Kilo

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2013, 23:43 
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

I can help you in more depth when I am home. But I am guessing you should play with the codec. Maybe change it to another one.

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2013, 03:24 
Junior Officer
Junior Officer

Yo, actually using my newer HDD works quite well...

apart from my voice being recorded only sometimes (very weird imo)
and the program crashing when I finally want to "build" my .avi.

The first few minutes, of my 1 hour long test-recording, work just fine and then (when about 10-15 min in the recording/the building process) it crashes.

But as you said, I will play a bit more with settings and shit and we'll talk once you get back home.

Take care!

--------------------

Small Update:
I deleted a previously installed Codec Pack (yes, shame on me) and it doesn't crash (as in "not responding") anymore but the building process still stops at the same point. As I could see now in the preview there are missing frames or sth...the pictures just stands still. And that is exactly where the process just stops, resulting in a .avi with fucked  up avi index. Will do another long recording tomorrow to see if it repeats or what was wrong there.

PostPosted: 31 Mar 2013, 08:38 
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

A couple of things.

I couldn't hear my mic on my recordings using Media Player Classic, but the second channel showed up once the files were in the video editor. (I also am naughty and have lots or random codecs installed).

Secondly, if the files are too large, render them out from the file Dxtory creates into a file that's just the right size for youtube i.e. 1920/10 30fps or similar. These should be smaller/ faster to upload to the pootubes.

Cheers, Murk.

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2013, 02:17 
Junior Officer
Junior Officer

Went with direct .avi output for now (doesn't seem to hit performance any more tbh).

Also fiddled around with the settings a bit more and thought I found my mistake but nope, the problem still remains, my MIC sound is not getting taped :(

PostPosted: 01 Apr 2013, 10:56 
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

the raw cap output only boost performance when usin multiple hhd. the mic could be aproblem with the player you are using to play the avi.will explain further when I am back. I am on the train ( next ro a pretty girl ;-) ). I am home arround 6 pm german time.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2013, 03:05 
Junior Officer
Junior Officer

Yes, as Murkey described, the audio is there, both in seperate audio channels. so far so good.
I just missed them cause vlc is only playing one at a time (like usual but silly me wasn't thinking properly)

Honest question to everyone who recorded already with it:

Can you really record in Full HD? As soon as I go ever 1280*800 (16:10 pendant to 720p) the VIDEO (not the game) lags out completely. Probably has to do with recording speed. How fast are your drives?

The drive I am recording on is completely empty and it says it has about 105 MB/s. But even if I use two drives (2nd one also about 100 MB/s) it wont help at all. So recording in FullHD is not possible!

Currently, with the 1280*800 settings, I come to about 1 min = 1GB filesize before rendering.

Right now I am rendering a test recording with VirtualDub. Projected file size says about 1.1 GB for a 37 min video in 720p.
Isn't that still pretty big? What programs/codecs/settings would one use for best results, comparing quality/filesize?

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2013, 08:14 
Executive Officer
Executive Officer

^Hmm, not sure what that is, but I don't think it's the HardDrive. I'm using one drive at 68Mbps and the video is smooth at 30 fps, 1920x1080. Something else could be a bottleneck, CPU? I set Dxtory to use 4 cores, of the six I have available.

In terms of file size, I'm getting just under 1 gig per minute of raw video. Then rendering it to a 1920*1080 .avi file at 29fps in sony vegas. This produces a file size of approx 0.2gig per minute.

PostPosted: 03 Apr 2013, 19:21 
Junior Officer
Junior Officer

I got a quad and set dxtory to use 2 threads and since my gfx is just a 5770 I put "force cpu threading".

If anything else was bottlenecking, shouldn't the game also be laggy/stuttering? Or at least it should show me in the overlay that the video FPS drop or sth. but it shows happy 30 FPS all the time.

And the thing with the file size puts a big question mark over my head...I get slightly bigger (or let's say roughly the same) filesize in 800p than you got in 1080p - wtf?!

PostPosted: 09 Apr 2013, 07:32 
Grunt
Grunt

KiloJules wrote:
First off, I know that this is a rather old thread, but nonetheless: Many thanks for the detailed instructions! Very well written and a pretty fine move!

BUT

I can't get my mic-audio to be recorded. Game sounds are fine. And yes, I set up two devices, selected the correct devices and activated "record sound" on both. Anyone has the same issue and/or any idea for a solution?
I mean, there isn't much one could do apart from the stuff already selected.
--->> WTF, while typing this and just trying over and over again, it works now. Funny stuff, computers are.

I also have problems with recording my microphone. At first I thought that nothing was recorded at all, but it turned out that my microphone WAS recorded, the sound level just was so low that it's easier to hear a fly fart... I don't know how to fix this. I'm thinking that my mic maybe is "too bad", but since it works in e.g. Teamspeak and people can hear me there without any problems... I just don't know.

I'll try messing around in Dxtory and see if I can fix it, but I've already tried lots of config combinations without any better results. Anyone got any suggestions?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 37 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next